Long Island Community Hospital has served this richly diverse
region as a patient-first community hospital for more than 60
years. As Long Island's only independent community hospital, we are
100% committed to becoming the community's healthcare provider of
choice with our greatly enhanced services including the Knapp
Cardiac Care Center, our highly-advanced heart disease diagnosis
and treatment facility, our new modern surgical pavilion, our
unique ER approach, and our high-touch services including women's
imaging, sleep laboratory and orthopedics and more. These services
are delivered with the highest level of compassion by our LI
Community Hospital staff - Long Islanders with an unmistakable mix
of courage and heart who care about the people right here in our
community and whose sole purpose is to provide personalized
Long Island Community Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.
All applicants will be considered for employment without attention
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, veteran or disability status.
Under the direction of the Program Director of the Hyperbaric
Medicine Department, the Medical Assistant serves in various
administrative and clinical capacities throughout the organization
to facilitate patient care and service excellence. This position
also serves as back-up in the delivery of patient care appropriate
to the level of his/her medical training, licensure, and/or
certification when needed.Greets patients and staff to the Wound
- Understands and complies with policies and procedures for
written consents, history sheets, and screening forms.
- Follows procedures to collect patient data and advise nursing
staff of patient arrival.
- Confirms appointment time and verifies information on the
prescription and requisition.
- Communicates with appropriate staff to assist in coordinating
- Coordinates add-on cases, changes and cancellations with
modalities, appointment secretaries and Central Registration.
- Demonstrates awareness of and participates in activities that
support customer satisfaction.
- Interacts effectively with hospital personnel, medical staff,
patients or families.
- Willingly accepts and completes assignments in a timely
- Works collaboratively with Management to achieve department and
hospital wide goals and objectives.
- Maintains personal appearance as outlined in organizational
- Promotes professional and collegial work environment
- Utilizes appropriate technique when answering the
- Answers telephone calls in a friendly and courteous manner
- Responds to routine inquiries and relays calls and
- Demonstrates the ability to complete the tasks of facsimile
transmission, electronic mail transmission, and photocopy
duplication in an efficient and discretionary manner.
- Supports the delivery of patient care by providing a patient
care environment that is properly stocked with supplies and
properly functioning equipment.
- Medical Assistants will also be utilized for their skills in
the Patient Care Areas as dictated by their licensure and scope of
practice. LPN's, EMT's, and MA's, within the scope of their
licensure or certification, will provide Vitals, glucose tests,
Dressings, Data Collection, and general assistance during wound
High School diploma or GED
Must have one of the following:
- Certificate from an approved Nurse Aide training program,
- EMT certificate, or
- Five years prior hospital or sub-acute experience, or
- Medical Technician Associate Degree.
Ability to make independent decisions which impact upon work
flow, identification of changing patient needs and consequences of
role as they relate to actions of entire medical team.
Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with
patients and their families that demonstrate recognition of
Basic analytical skills in order to gather data, complete
comparisons, interpret and report outcomes to the nurse or document
on the medical record.
Must have excellent customer service and telephone skills.
Ability to manage and perform multiple tasks simultaneously in a
changing work environment.
Basic computer skills.
Ability to maintain focused attention to detail.
Possess the ability to stand or walk for long periods of
Must possess the ability to occasionally lift/carry up to 75
Must possess the ability to frequently push/pull more than 100
Must possess the ability to frequently bend, squat, kneel and
reach above shoulders.
Must possess the ability to occasionally climb steps/ladder.