Manager for Patient Accounting Revenue Recovery and Retention
Company: Stony Brook University
Location: East Setauket
Posted on: May 3, 2021
At Stony Brook Medicine, the Manager for Patient Accounting
Revenue Recovery and Retention will oversee the hospital's Facility
Insurance Denials, Appeals and Revenue Retention Units. Reporting
to the Manager of Patient Accounting, the Revenue Recovery and
Retention Manager will lead the Hospital's denied claims appeal
efforts as well as manage the defense of revenue against
post-payment take-back/retraction. The Manager will develop and
optimize related work flows and system work queues, train staff and
monitor the unit's work quality and productivity. They will track,
trend and report on denied, appealed and contested accounts
receivable and routinely work with Patient Accounting and Managed
Care leadership to identify and resolve high dollar/high risk
accounts. Successful candidates will have 5 plus years' management
experience in an Acute Care Hospital Revenue Cycle or Patient
Accounting Department managing staff involved in acute care
facility insurance claim follow-up, appeals and/or payment variance
Duties of a Manager for Patient Accounting Revenue Recovery and
Retention may include the following but are not limited to:
- Educate staff on Managed Care Contracts including medical
review and readmission policies, dispute resolution processes,
appeals and payment recoupment timeframes.
- Develop work flows and training to support facility insurance
appeals and revenue retention efforts.
- Develop and monitor work queues and staff productivity to
ensure work volumes and staffing are aligned.
- Audit staff work; provide education on best practice.
- Analyze and report on denial and payment retraction trends and
- Collaborate with the Managed Care Department and Patient
Accounting leadership to address payment issues and resolve at
risk/high dollar accounts.
- As required, participate in Joint Operating Calls (JOC) with
- Identify issues and patterns regarding non-payments and
collaborate on denials prevention initiatives.
- As required, liaise with Insurance Company Provider
Representatives to resolve contested accounts.
- Assist management reporting and special projects as
- B.S. Accounting/Finance, Health Information Management, Health
Administration, Computer Science or related field.
- 5 Years' Healthcare Revenue Cycle or Patient Accounting
experience managing Acute Care Facility Insurance claims follow-up,
appeals and/or payment variance analysis.
- 5 Years' experience working with an Acute Care Contract
Management software system.
- Experience participating in Insurance Joint Operating Calls and
interacting with Payer Provider Representatives.
- Expert knowledge of governmental and non- governmental
healthcare facility claims reimbursement methodologies.
- Expert knowledge of inpatient and outpatient billing
requirements (UB-04, 837i). Specifically how claims information
- Experience working with CPT/HCPCs and ICD-10 codes.
- Experience working with hospital patient accounting
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite. Including: Excel, Word.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Master's Degree or professional licensure.
- Medical Coding Certification through the American Academy of
Professional Coders (AAPC) and/or the American Health Information
Management Association (AHIMA.)
- Proficiency with MS Access, Visio and/or Power point.
- Experience reporting from healthcare decision support, patient
accounting, contract management and/or claims scrubber
- Proficiency with visualization software (Tableau, MS Power BI,
Special Notes: Resume/CV and cover letter should be included
with the online application.
Posting Overview: This position will remain posted until filled
or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants
will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised
on the application that for full consideration, applications must
be received before the initial review date (which is within two
weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill
the position posted, additional applications will be considered for
the posted position; however, the posting will close once a
finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial
posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and
hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close
for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
- Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is
strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and
outdoor areas on the premises.
- All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days
and shifts as necessary.
- This position may require the wearing of respiratory
protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
- This function/position maybe designated as "essential." This
means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional
emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at
their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and
continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University
Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and
obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee
- Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3)
- Successfully complete a 5 panel drug screen*
- Successfully complete a Background Check investigation.
- Provide a copy of any required New York State
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could
result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment
- The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity
and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex,
pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status
and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the
University Office of Equity and Access at (631)632-6280.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act
a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Keywords: Stony Brook University, Westport , Manager for Patient Accounting Revenue Recovery and Retention, Other , East Setauket, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!